Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Doc Skraly Bids Farewell


By Kris Hawkins
Dr. Janice Skraly will be retiring from South Allegheny High School upon completion of the 2007-2008, school year, after 29 years of teaching here.
From a very young age the aspiring Chemist wanted to be a doctor. She explained that her desire to become a Chemistry Major goes back to her High School days. Skraly graduated from McKeesport Area High School in 1959.
“I obtained my PhD at Pitt in 1983,” she said. From that point on she would be known as Doctor Janice Skraly. She has accumulated more than 30 years of teaching experience, including her 29 years teaching South Allegheny students, 2 years in New York and she is also a “College Adjunct,” which defined her career as a College Professor.
When asked what the highlight of her career has been, she responded “The Winners that are produced through the Science Fairs,” and “Seeing the many Scientists created at South Allegheny.” She really enjoys the challenge and variety of working with young people.
Skraly has taught Kindergarten through college and finds teaching the High School level the most challenging, “As a High School teacher, you really know you’re alive!”
She explained that she has had “so many,” memorable experiences at S.A.H.S., including a group of dedicated students and pipes freezing, giving the Chemistry room an “ice-cave look.”
Through these experiences she has influenced many people, but her hero is Marie Curie. “She was one of the first women scientists, at a time when that wasn’t cool.” Skraly, though, is admired by her many students.
One of her senior students, Nick Aquilante, tells about how she had a huge influence on his career choice. “I wasn’t doing very well in Doc’s class as a sophomore (Chemistry I), but she called home and told me how much potential I had.” His realization of this potential paid off and now Aquilante will be attending Penn State in the fall of 2008, majoring in Electrical Engineering.
“I am most proud of my students who wise up,” Skraly says, “I’m really most proud of my students who understand why they are in school.” She tries to work her students to the best of their ability and then some. She believes that the students who want to succeed will and do show initiative.
Her favorite philosophy on life and school is, “There Is No Magic, Only Magicians.” Which means if you want something, you have to make it happen, it won’t happen of its’ own accord.
After her retirement from S.A. she will continue to teach as a college professor and fulfilling her many Hobbies. “I have many Hobbies, I collect Gems, I read, OH! And I love Music… I play Piano.”
The expression of her students on her retirement is that she will be greatly missed as a teacher and mentor, and her current students are (simply) grateful to have had “Doc,” teach them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doc! I hope all is well with you. You were the best teacher and helped me so much in school. You are missed!!!

lindsey1129 said...

Doc I can't believe the time has come... I can't thank you enough for being such a teriffic teacher as well as mentor. You chem classes were the greatest, from growing crystals to Chinese New Year. The best part was the desk literally connected to yours always open whenever one of us needed help. I will never forget the labs at Pitt that we loved to travel to; hoping to get done in enough time to make it to wendys or panera or other good places on campus. You will truly be missed at S.A. OUR DOC!!!!!
Lindsey Digiacomo